The National Autistic Society asked young people with Autism ‘What would have made school better?’
- 58% chose ‘If teachers understood autism’
- 46% chose ‘If people in class were less noisy’
- 38% chose ‘If other school staff understood Autism’’
National Autistic Society (2016)
‘If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.’ Ignacio Estrada
What is Autism?
‘Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others’ – National Autistic Society (2017)
- An EY SEND Advisor can offer telephone advice or may offer a setting visit to support a Pre-school Early Years Setting meet the needs of a child with Autism. Information about accessing EY SEND involvement is available on the Early Years SEND and Inclusion Landing Page.
- Schools can receive telephone advice from an EY SEND Advisor or can purchase support for children with autism in their Reception Class.
Book bespoke support by completing this order form or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Autism Education Trust—Making Sense of Autism
Book in-house training by completing this order form or email your request to email@example.com
Protocol for in-house training
Understanding Autism - Parents
- Sautrday 2nd February 2019. This course is for parents of children with Autism who are aged between 3 and 11 years old. It has been specifically developed for parents (or other family members) who have not been able to access a place on the National Autistic Society EarlyBird Programme.
The NAS EarlyBird Programme is a three month programme for parents / carers of young children with autism. A pre-school or school practitioner, who is currently involved with the child, may also attend with the parents/carers.
The Programme works in partnership with parents/carers to help them to:
- Understand their child’s autism spectrum disorder
- Develop their child’s communication
- Apply practical strategies to support their child’s behaviour
National Autistic Society EarlyBird Programme Information