The National Autistic Society asked young people with Autism ‘What would have made school better?’
- 58% chose ‘If teachers understood autism’
- 46% chose ‘If people in class were less noisy’
- 38% chose ‘If other school staff understood Autism’’
National Autistic Society (2016)
‘If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.’ Ignacio Estrada
What is Autism?
‘Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others’ – National Autistic Society (2017)
- Following a Request for Advice an EY SEND Advisor can offer telephone advice or a setting visit to support a Pre-school Early Years Settings meet the needs of a child with autism.
- Schools can receive telephone advice from an EY SEND Advisor or can purchase support for children with autism in their Reception Class.
Book bespoke support online
- Autism Education Trust—Tier One Training
Book in-house training online
National Autistic Society EarlyBird Programme:
The NAS EarlyBird Programme is a three month programme for parents / carers of young children with autism. A pre-school or school practitioner, who is currently involved with the child, may also attend with the parents/carers.
The Programme works in partnership with parents/carers to help them to:
- Understand their child’s autism spectrum disorder
- Develop their child’s communication
- Apply practical strategies to support their child’s behaviour
National Autistic Society EarlyBird Programme Information