- Ofsted is no longer responsible for checking the suitability of people managing the day-to-day operation of childcare settings, unless they make up part of the ‘registered person’
- Ofsted continue to assess the suitability of childminders, childminders’ assistants and those living or working on the premises where childminding takes place.
- It is the responsibility of the ‘registered person’ to ensure they undertake safer recruitment and check suitability of any new managers, including disqualification by association
- Disclosure and Barring Service checks are no longer carried out by Ofsted for changes in managers, although those for new committee members and ‘the registered person’ will still be carried out. The registered person may be an individual, organisation , or childminder
- New registered persons and all new committee members must complete and submit to Ofsted an online EY2 form as soon as possible giving their permission for checks to be carried out. This also includes new members of a childminders household and those who turn 16.
- Childcare providers are also responsible for checking the ongoing suitability of their staff, including but not limited to, annual suitability declarations, supervisions and appraisals.
Safer Recruitment advice and guidance
- The EYFS: Safeguarding and Welfare requirements - Page 18 - Suitable People
- Buckinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board (BSCB): Safer Recruitment Toolkit
- Ofsted Early Years and Childcare Registration Handbook - provides information about recruitment, induction and ongoing suitability of staff.
Allegations against staff and volunteers
The Buckinghamshire County Council, Early Years safeguarding guidance includes information on managing an allegation against a member of the workforce.
LADO: 01296 382070
Ofsted: 0300 123 1231
Early Years Designated Senior Manager for allegations against the childcare workforce:
Alison Terry: 01296 387147
Early Years and Childcare Commissioning Manager
Deputy Designated Senior Manager:
Joe Cook: 01296 387111
Early Years and Childcare Commissioner (Early Help)
Service Manager :
Mary Cook: 07730 689120
Your Early Years Officer or local Quality Improvement Partner will be able to provide you with advice if needed
Last Updated 06/12/2017